Saturday, April 13, 2013

No Thinking Days


I kind of hate the days of no thinking. I don’t beat myself up about them anymore, but I miss all the things I could have done with a better day. At the same time, I realize that missing what could have been is a waste of time.

There is a reason I don’t do the things Susan wants to do. For so long I did everything in spite of the MS, and now I can do only what the MS permits. I have run the fences, tested the limits, and I pretty well know when I’m doing more than I should. It still stings that ironing is too much, sorting laundry is too much, and cooking is too much. It is nice, though, to know when I’m deliberately coloring outside the lines, so to speak, instead of being blindsided by the results of over-doing it. It is also nice to choose to do it, instead of all the years that I did it because there was no other choice.

And I don’t have to stand in self-condemnation for not doing more, or not doing better. All the years I compared myself to others, not knowing that I had a disease that knocked me out of the “normal” range. I always thought that old adage “don’t compare yourself to others” was something that was said to “losers” (me) so they (I) wouldn’t beat themselves (myself) up for their (my) failings. Now I truly understand that it is unjust, because I’m not like other people. I’m at the edge of the bell curve, and that isn’t always a bad place to be - but more on that later.
 
It is truly a gift that I don't have to force myself to perform, most days. That fact has made self-acceptance possible. Acceptance has made it easier to ride out these days, and to laugh at myself. There is a lot of laughter in my house, and I'm the cause of most of it. Why can I laugh? Because I know this is all temporary. Yes, it might continue for another thirty years, but that is still quite short in the scheme of things. And I can laugh because I am loved by a mighty God and by wonderful people. It's all good.
 


 

 

 

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful GF! You are my inspiration as we fight that good fight!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you expand on what you mean about hating no thinking days? My mind races so often that I enjoy the times I don't have to think as much.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for asking, Brenda! When I say "no thinking days," I'm referring to the days when I feel like everything just bounces off my brain. It's like I don't grasp the meanings of things - I can repeat what I hear, but I don't internalize it. Believe it or not, giving up gluten has really helped greatly reduce these days! Apparently a lot of energy for people to process gluten, and I have more of it to give my brain by avoiding that food group. I guess it's also called Brain Fog.

    I look back with fondness at the days when my brain would engage and I could be counted on to see things from a different perspective and problem solve. The days when I can do that are mostly past, though I have recently had more of them - and then I write!

    I do still have nights when the brain won't stop it's random racing - I get so frustrated with the rabbit holes it takes me down when I'm trying to sleep! It's like trying to keep up with a very smart, ADD 3 year old. Over the counter sleep aids and following the same routine for bed every night has helped that. My doc tells me it's a common problem in MS (another of the joys).

    Blessings to you, and thanks for reading my blog,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your reply! I had a feeling you meant something more, but like you said it's hard to grasp things. I read your comment 4 times and it wasn't sticking in my head....so frustrating. I have been told about the gluten thing recently....is there something specific you would recommend? Can I get these things at a regular grocery store? Thanks again..so refreshing to hear someone say exactly what I'm feeling.
    God bless
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have much experience with gluten-free products - they are costly, and I'm a chicken - what if I spend all that money and don't like the stuff? I've just stopped using breads and pasta - anything with wheat in it. It hasn't been as hard as I thought.

    I did find Toufayan Gluten-free Wraps in the deli section in grocery stores like Meijer - $5 for six, but they are good as wraps, quesadillas, etc.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok thanks. I haven't been eating alot of bread or pasta either so I don't think it will be that hard. I hope that its ok I got a hold of you....Anita gave me your name. It was really nice reading your blog because I don't feel like anyone knows what I'm going through. I haven't been diagnosed with MS, but some doctors have said they think I have it and in my opinion I do have it so I don't really care if other people believe me. So I was just wondering if you could tell me how it started for you and how were you diagnosed? Anything information would be appreciated. Thanks,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete